Hydroseed Lawn Maintenance
To get your lawn off to a great start. we use the highest quality grass seed, wood fiber mulch, and fertilizers. So your lawn has a good start from the beginning. The seed blend we use is formulated for Michigan lawns, and a balanced starter fertilizer that’s superior to all others. The mulch is a non-toxic green dye (the dye will not stain) and we use 100% wood fiber mulch. The wood fiber mulch will retain moisture and this will helps to protect the seeds. And in time the wood fiber mulch will decompose to a natural fertilizer. So we’ve outlined a few maintenance instructions below. By following these instructions, your lawn will be beautiful and the perfect lawn you have always wanted.
Watering Your Hydroseed Lawn
A Hydroseeded lawn needs to be watered properly. By doing so will germinate the seed and your lawn will start off correctly. It is a must to follow these watering instructions.
- Water frequently to keep moisture in the soil at all times. And this may be several times per day. Depending on the weather, soil type and temperature. Cool, damp days may only need to be watered once a day, but hot summer days may need to be watered 3-4 times a day.
- After the seed starts to germinate and only little water is used it will slows the growth of the grass, which will allowed the seed to dry out can die.
- Too much water can cause a weak root system and result in a sparse lawn.
- After your lawn takes off and start mowing, reduce the frequency of watering to 1-2 times per week. Weather conditions will determine the frequency. Proper watering will promote deeper rooting system.
- Germination of the seed should be in 5 to 10 days under good conditions. Under not lso good conditions it may take 14 to 21 days to germinate.
Mowing Your Lawn
- A new lawn should be mowed when the grass is 2 inches to 3 inches high. This usually happens about 4 to 6 weeks after seeding. After that mow to a height of 1 ½ inches to 2inches.
- If the grass gets too tall before it is mowed, never try to mow the grass all at one time to the proper height. Raise the mower cutting height than mow and the next couple mowings adjust proper height.
- Mow often. Mowing encourages a strong grass stem system. Increased stems means your lawn fills in more quickly.
- Make sure your mower blades are sharp for a good clean cut. Set the mower speed at a slower RPM to reduce the chance sucking up the seed.
Fertilizing Your Lawn
- Hydroseed is a starter fertilizer.
- Apply a starter fertilizer or a balanced fertilizer, such as 16-16-16, after the first or second mowing. Follow the manufacture’s recommendations.
- Apply the fertilizer to a dry lawn then water thoroughly to reduce the chance of burning.
- Established lawn needs to be maintained, follow a fertilizer maintenance program. Fertilize 4 to 6 times per year.
Traffic On The Lawn
For the first 2-3 months, keep pets and people traffic to a minimum.
Weed Control For Your Lawn
Although we have Hydroseeded your lawn with a grass seed mixture that’s free of weed seeds. The soil may have weed seeds and can grow in your lawn area. DO NOT use any weed killers on your lawn for at least three months. Although products such as Ortho say they only kill weeds, not grasses, they can harm new grass seed. After three months and you need to kill weeds, a herbicide spray is recommended rather than a Orthro product for two reasons:
1) you can target a area on your lawn rather than apply a herbicide to the whole lawn
2) a dry granular product cover the area as well. A spray gives better coverage.